Bhigwan, situated on the backwaters of Ujani Dam, about 100 Kms from Pune is an ideal destination for bird watching and bird photography. Migratory birds of 50-200 types, including the majestic greater flamingos, reside in this birding paradise. The birds include greater flamingos, ducks, grey herons, painted storks, black headed ibis, stilts, godwits, herons, egrets, storks, seagulls etc.
The weather is just right for this trip and we are sure that the variety of birds will give us all a opportunity to click their wonderful photos.
Day 1) Departure: 21st Mar 645 am from Dadar station in a mini van. We will have stops at Navi Mumbai on the way to pick up any participants. Exact time of this pick up will be informed a day prior. We will have breakfast and lunch on the way and reach Bhigwan (Kumbhargaon) by 2.30 pm. Once there, we will freshen up in the rooms and get ready for the first boat ride (Sunset ride) to click some beautiful birds and their silhouettes. After the refreshing boat trip where we see the sun go down in the water, we will come back to relax in the rooms, followed by some rural simple dinner. Post dinner we will have a night trail to sight some night birds – this is a fascinating trail and often gives us amazing insights into the dark world. After this trail, we will attempt some astro-photography and try and shoot milky way and star trails.
Day 2) Sunday will begin early as we board the boat again for a sunrise ride, again get up close to the birds and click them. The birding expert at location will provide detailed information about the species, their habitat etc to help us all identify and click the birds by knowing more about them.
Once we finish the tour, we will have late breakfast and then head back to Mumbai, have lunch on the way and plan to reach by 4 pm- 5 pm.
Things to carry:
- Your cameras with longer focal length (telephoto/zoom) lenses, or point and shoot cameras with a good optical zoom. Monopods will be really good to have.
- Carry wide angle lenses as well if interested in astrophotography
- Some munchies for snacking on the way
- Jackets/sweaters as it is winter time
- Mosquito repellents
- Camouflage color clothes
- Water bottles
- Extra pair of footwear (if we enter the water)
Rs. 4,600/- per head for those traveling from Mumbai and back
Rs. 3,200/- per head for those joining the mini van from Pune and back (Use discount code PUNE while registering)
Photography: Experts will provide guidance on clicking birds, stationery or in flight, clicking birds in low light and against the sun
Bird knowledge: The bird guides on the boat will provide knowledge on bird species identification, history, habitat and behavior.
- Stay will be in sharing rooms, very simple, no luxury rooms. 4 people will share one room.
- Food will be rural home cooked simple food – both veg and non veg options available.
- Cancellations will attract a loss of 50% booking costs.
- Any cost for medical emergencies or anything not mentioned in the itinerary section is excluded